James “Jim” S. Hilboldt, Jr. is a Senior Counsel in the firm’s Government Contracts and International Transactions Practices. Mr. Hilboldt’s legal practice specializes in assisting corporate clients negotiate contracts for the marketing and sale of their products & services to government and non-government customers around the world, especially Asia, the Middle East and Africa, Canada and Western Europe.
After starting his legal career at a leading international law firm in New York City, Mr. Hilboldt served for ten-years as in-house counsel in the Washington office of a large U.S. aerospace and defense company, and, before that, twenty years as an attorney in the New York City headquarters of a large U.S. biopharmaceutical company.
Prior to joining Fluet, Mr. Hilboldt served as Senior Counsel with a Washington, D.C. office of a midsize firm and a Government Contracts boutique in Tysons, VA.
Mr. Hilboldt’s transactional experience includes cross-border sales and supply agreements, distribution agreements, sales representative and consulting agreements, offset agreements, teaming agreements, co-marketing agreements, technology licensing agreements, and joint ventures. His practice frequently requires obtaining and integrating advice from multiple sources—including tax, IP, finance, antitrust, and legal experts around the world—to develop practical solutions that meet the business needs and manage the related risks, especially compliance risk.
In addition to developing internal compliance policies and procedures for companies, Mr. Hilboldt has conducted third party investigations and due diligence reviews, with a focus on compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), along with the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and other Export Control Regulations.
Mr. Hilboldt is also proficient in French.
*Jim Hilboldt is only admitted to practice law in New York and the District of Columbia.
- Assisted a U.S. company in identifying local counsel and managing the law suit in Japan.
- Prepared a sales representative agreement for marketing of a service in Europe.
- Created corporate policy for retention of third party intermediaries, including due diligence requirements.
- Provided legal advice regarding an offset project in South Korea.
- Led legal team supporting negotiation of a series of collaborative agreements with companies in India.
- Served as lead lawyer on the worldwide development and marketing teams of a blockbuster pharmaceutical product.
- Senior Corporate Counsel, International, Raytheon Company (now RTX Corporation)
- Senior Corporate Counsel, Pfizer Inc.
- Associate Attorney, Coudert Brothers
Certifications + Licenses
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar