Jane Johansen brings a substantial set of skills and corporate experience to Fluet. As the General Counsel at a Virginia-based technology company, she oversaw the day-to-day legal affairs, including managing a legal and contracts department. She also has over 20 years of experience in commercial transactions; federal, state, and local government contracts; intellectual property and technology licensing; mergers and acquisitions; corporate governance; employment law; and privacy, cybersecurity, and regulatory compliance.
Upon receiving her MBA from Penn State, Ms. Johansen began her career in the growing Northern Virginia technology industry at a software start-up. There she managed software license and maintenance negotiations, technology export compliance, GSA schedule contract implementation, and completed scores of mergers and acquisitions due diligence projects. Ms. Johansen then joined a business and technology boutique handling trademarks, copyright, and business matters; and later, the Intellectual Property practice group at the law firm of Drinker Biddle & Reath in Washington, D.C.
Prior to joining Fluet, she served as in-house counsel at companies in the technology and software space where she oversaw various legal needs, contracts, corporate governance compliance requirements, and IP portfolios. Ms. Johansen understands fast-paced, high stakes industries where innovation drives growth.
She holds a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature from West Virginia University, she also holds a Master of Business Administration, with emphasis in Management Information Systems, from the Smeal College of Business at the Pennsylvania State University; and a Juris Doctorate, Intellectual Property track, from the Antonin Scalia Law School of George Mason University.
Jane Johansen is licensed to practice law in Virginia and the District of Columbia.
Commercial, Mergers + Acquisitions
- Represented a global consulting company in negotiating and drafting intellectual property dispute settlements.
- Completed technology reselling and managed services agreements for an IT products and services company.
- Completed due diligence for acquisition and ongoing management of all commercial services contracts of a “Big-5” accounting firm by a global consulting firm.
- Negotiated commercial technology product sales and licensing; development agreements, supply-chain transactions, master services, and cloud services contracts for a global consulting company as well as for a secure digital payment company.
- Negotiated and drafted a complex technology acquisition agreement for an international mobile security company.
- Created, drafted and implemented a negotiation parameters guide, standard contracting process, and an in-house developed corporate matter management tool for a 40-person legal department of a publicly-held company.
- Drafted winning federal government contract proposals, teaming agreements, and related subcontracts for a government contractor focused on cyber-security and defensive applications and network support.
- Completed DoD prime contracts, related subcontracts, and managed the ongoing FAR / DFAR compliance and administration for a government contractor.
- Advised a government contractor on cybersecurity compliance; the CMMI certification process; NIST compliance, and CMMC preparation.
- Negotiated and completed federal, state, and local government contracts for a hardware and software integrator.
- Prevailed against a post-award bid protest for an SBA contract.
- Advised a government contractor on mentor-protégé relationships and the implementation of a joint venture entity.
Intellectual Property Portfolio Management
- Advised the executive team and marketing department of a government contractor on the creation and implementation of a new trademark strategy, including successful registration of the new logo, successful objection to similar marks, and tactics for reinstituting an abandoned mark.
- Registered copyrights for a software company.
- Resolved an international trade secret disclosure claim and dispute for a consulting firm.
- Managed the IP portfolio for an international consulting company.
Corporate Governance + Policy
- Successfully negotiated and closed a multi-million stock purchase agreement and related financing agreements for a privately held corporation.
- Negotiated a new credit facility; amended banking agreements to match corporate needs, and negotiated subordinated promissory notes for a government contractor.
- Provided corporate governance, managed meetings of the Board of Directors; completed bylaws amendments, board resolutions, and operating agreements for a government contractor.
- Created company policies for and authored executive bonus plans, severance agreements, retention agreements, sales commission plans, and document/data destruction policies and employee incentive plans for a government contractor.
- General Counsel, Technica Corporation
- Legal Counsel, Giesecke & Devrient Mobile Security America
- Corporate Counsel, Digital Intelligence Systems/DISYS
- Vice President and Technology Contracts Counsel, ePlus
- Managing Director and Associate General Counsel, BearingPoint
- Intellectual Property Practice Associate, Drinker Biddle & Reath
- Director, Contracts and Human Resources Departments, Sterling Software
- J.D., George Mason University Antonin Scalia Law School
- M.B.A., Penn State University
- B.A., West Virginia University
Certifications + Licenses
- Virginia Bar
- District of Columbia Bar